Dr. Roland, a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, performs breast augmentation and breast reduction procedures in NYC with fantastic results. Dr. Roland maintains a busy schedule of patient consultations, surgeries, teaching and lecturing in surrounding areas like Long Island and more. To contact Dr. Roland’s New York City (NYC), office for a breast augmentation consultation, call us at 212-744-9400.
Table of Contents
- Why Dr. Roland?
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implants
- Why Breast Augmentation?
- Silicone or Saline Implants?
Why choose Dr. Roland?
Among other credentials, Dr Roland:
- Is recognized as one of the leading plastic surgeons in New York City (NYC)
- Has more than two decades of expertise as a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
- Has performed hundreds of breast surgeries and has hundreds of Before & After photos to prove it to you
- Is a published author and sought-after researcher who conducts his research out of the prestigious New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
- Dr. Donald Roland specializes in breast procedures like breast lift, breast augmentation
Breast Augmentation Overview
Since it was first introduced, breast augmentation has topped the list as one of the most popular cosmetic procedures around the country and in our New York City (NYC) practice. Some of the main characteristics you should know about breast augmentation are:
- It increases the size of the breasts using implants
- Implants are made of silicone or saline solution
- Improve the shape, symmetry, and proportions of the breasts
- Each procedure is unique for every patient and there are different options available to help patients achieve their ideal breasts
Procedures associated with Breast Augmentation
Dr. Roland will recommend including a Breast Lift in your surgery to help you get the best possible results. The opposite of this cosmetic surgery, breast reduction, is a very popular procedure as well.
Breast augmentation, which is often called “breast enlargement” or “breast enhancement,” is actually about more than just changing the measurable size, or cup size, of your breasts. It can also involve changing the shape of your breasts, adding fullness in places and even adjusting your areola size to match your new breasts.
Where are breast implants placed during surgery?
Breast implants can be placed underneath your natural breast tissue or underneath the pectoralis major muscle. Either placement option is considered safe for both types of implants.
The decision on which placement to use will be based on your musculature and body type as well as the size of the implants you want.
How to tell if implants are above or under the muscle?
Changes to your breast can also include decisions about where to place the breast implants to achieve your appearance goals. There are two options and each will give you a different final look:
- Above the muscle
- Underneath the muscle
Sub-glandular VS. Sub-muscular placement
- Sub-glandular placement is preferable for larger implants or for patients who want to have perkier-looking breasts. Because the implant sits on top of the muscle instead of underneath it, the implant moves easier with your body and muscle contractions. This placement is also less invasive, which means a shorter recovery time.
- Sub-muscular placement is best for smaller implants and for patients who have very little natural breast tissue. It provides a more natural appearance because it has more of the patient’s natural body tissues covering the implant. The muscle tissue also provides better support and protection for the implant. This placement is more invasive than sub-glandular placement, so it will have a longer recovery time.
Ultimately, breast augmentation is a very personal decision. It can be as simple as increasing the size of your breast or can extend to achieving size and shape symmetry between your breasts, changing where and how they sit on your chest and giving you the overall visual appearance you want.
Breast Enhancement Before After Photos
For Before and After photos please visit our Breast Augmentation Photo Gallery
Good Candidates for Breast Implant Surgery
What qualifies someone for breast augmentation in our NYC office?
In general, if you are in good health in all other ways and have reasonable expectations for the results if you decide to undergo breast augmentation surgery, you are likely to be deemed a good candidate.
You are likely to be a good candidate if you:
- feel your breasts are smaller than you prefer
- have variations in shape or size from one to the other
- have lost mass after having your
family areseeking symmetry following treatment for breast cancer
However, in certain circumstances, Dr. Roland recommends that you postpone this procedure if you:
- Plan to get pregnant or are pregnant, or you are currently breastfeeding or wish to do so in the future.
- Have a strong family history of breast cancer.
- Are taking any medications to thin the blood or prevent clotting,
- are in treatment for an autoimmune or another serious health issue
- beginning or are currently in the middle of a major weight loss regimen.
- Smoke or drink heavily and are unwilling to reduce or stop for a period of time before and after your procedure (heavy tobacco and alcohol use can interfere with the body’s natural ability to heal after cosmetic surgery).
If any of these situations currently apply to you, talk to Dr. Roland about the best time to schedule your breast augmentation procedure.
Why get Breast Augmentation?
At one time, patients would seek out breast augmentation surgery simply to get bigger breasts. Today, there are both medical and aesthetic reasons to choose this procedure:
- Some patients have one smaller breast and one larger breast (breast asymmetry).
- Breasts can have a deflated appearance after childbirth and breastfeeding or from weight loss.
- Others need reconstruction due to a mastectomy, congenital defect, or illness.
Uneven breasts or nipples are usually a cause for aesthetic concern, but these can also be corrected in the surgery.
Breast augmentation implants can correct all these issues by adjusting the position and size of the breasts to make them look natural and proportional. Every patient will have a different concern about their breasts, but Dr. Roland will work with you to help you get the best possible results.
Is silicone or saline implants better?
There are two main types of breast implants available to patients today: silicone and saline. Each type has its strengths as noted here. You will be able to discuss the best implant choice for your goals during your consultation with Dr. Roland.
Silicone implants have had a colorful history, but today they are still the most popular choice, and even more so because the new silicone implants are completely safe to use.
- They come in a variety of shapes and sizes to meet your personal appearance goals
- Are made of a gel contained inside a shell that mimics normal breast tissue
- Will deliver a softer, more natural shape and feel to the breast after augmentation
- Are customized to match the size and shape you want, are then placed inside a pocket that Dr. Roland creates during the procedure.
- Consist of a silicone outer layer and are filled with a salt and water solution which is in a safe concentration for your body’s health
- It comes in a variety of sizes, each of which can hold a different range of volume
- The implant is empty when it is placed inside your breast and then is gradually filled with the saltwater solution until it reaches the right size
- Will deliver a round shape to the breast that feels firm to the touch and
arethought to give the breasts bouncier look
Both implants are FDA-approved and considered safe for patients. Only patients over 22 years of age can get silicone gel implants.
Dr. Roland did my breast augmentation 3 years ago. I feel so incredibly lucky to have chosen Dr. Roland as my surgeon. I was connected to Dr. Roland through a friend, and I am so grateful for the referral as we have so many options in NYC for cosmetic surgery. I had been uncomfortable with my chest ever since I was in middle school, and after having my surgery with Dr. Roland my only regret is that I did not do it ten years earlier!
I work in the plastic surgery industry myself, and have worked for one of the top plastic surgeons for breast augmentation / reconstruction in the city. I have seen many breast surgery results and complications, so I know an amazing result when I see one. I think that my case was a bit complicated – I had always been very small and asymmetrical. None of the other doctors that I saw in consultation really seemed to see the aesthetic problems as I was seeing them, and I liked that he understood my concerns for having extremely-natural looking results. He recommended doing a partial lift on one side to correct the asymmetry, but also he wanted to adjust the incisions on the other side so that the scarring (which has been minimal) would match the lifted side to create a more natural look. I saw 4 other surgeons in consultation and none of them suggested a lift or addressed how my scars would look after they faded with time. He was also very thorough in assisting me in choosing the right size implants, and was extremely concerned about ensuring that the final size would work well with my lifestyle and personality. His bedside manner is truly impressive – I felt completely taken care of during the entire process and felt like the office staff was family. Again, because I work in the cosmetic surgery industry (both on the administrative side and clinical side), I know what good service and surgical talent is, and I give Dr. Roland and his practice an A++!
The Initial Consultation for Breast Augmentation in NYC
Prior to your surgery, you will meet with Dr. Roland at least twice. The first time will be for your initial consultation. Dr. Roland will examine your breasts and discuss your goals for them. He will also discuss your options for reaching those goals and help you decide on the size, type, and placement for your implant. After making these decisions, Dr. Roland will walk you through the surgery process and answer any questions you have. You can also discuss any concerns or particular issues with him at this time.
You will discuss your breast implant size in your second meeting with Dr. Roland. Breast augmentation can increase your breast size by at least one cup size or more, so you’ll have some flexibility with choosing your implant size. The implant size is measured by the total volume of material inside, referred to as ccs or cubic centimeters. One cup size is equal to about 100-150 ccs of material, and implants can vary in size from 150-800 ccs. Ideally, your breasts should be proportional to your frame without making it obvious that you have implants. Dr. Roland can help you determine which size implants you need during this appointment if you aren’t sure what you want.
- My body has really taken a hit from having my three kids.
- I want larger breasts, but what does the “Perfect Breast” look like?
- My breasts are a little droopy after having my kids, do I need a lift or breast implants?
- Breast Management 101- The Three S’s
Frequently Asked Questions about Breast Augmentation
Where are the incisions made?
Incisions are made in the armpit, around the areola, or at the crease on the underside of the breast. The choice of incision will vary depending on the size of the implant, the placement of the implant, and your body type. After making the incisions, Dr. Roland will create a pocket for the implant under the breast tissue and/or under the muscle. The implant will be placed inside the breast and adjusted until the breast is the right shape and in the right position. The incisions will be closed with sutures and then bandaged once everything is in place. After your incisions heal, the scars will be inconspicuous or concealed.
How long is the breast surgery recovery?
The first two or three days after surgery for breast augmentation patients will be the most difficult. Your breasts will be sore and swollen and the drainage tubes will help with the fluid buildup. You can manage swelling and pain with ice packs and by keeping your upper body elevated whenever possible. Dr. Roland can also prescribe pain medications if necessary. After you make it through the first few days, it will be easier to move about. Most patients are able to return to their jobs and resume light activity after seven to ten days. Avoid more strenuous activity for at least four weeks.
What are the Complications for Breast Augmentation?
Complications associated with this procedure include pain, swelling, a change in nipple sensitivity or milk production, capsular contracture, and implant rupture.
Capsular contracture is a condition in which the scar tissue forms around the implant. This causes the skin to tighten around the implants, creating an irregular or uneven look to your breasts.
Implant rupture occurs when there is a leak or breakage in the implant. This usually happens as a result of injury rather than implant malfunction. If you have a saline implant, a rupture will cause the implant to deflate and the saline solution will be absorbed into your body.
If you have a silicone implant, a rupture may be less obvious, so it’s important to have your implants checked periodically. Typically the silicone will stay around your breast tissue, but if it begins moving away from your breasts, it may cause serious problems.
All of these complications can be serious, but they are also rare.
Breast augmentation is a very safe surgical procedure and most patients have little or no issues following the surgery. If you should have any concerns during or after your breast augmentation recovery, make sure you consult with Dr. Roland.
With Dr. Roland and his NYC practice, your breast augmentation needs will be met.